Resources / Avoiding Foreclosure


Losing a home due to unexpected events can be devastating and many times can be avoided. If you are facing financial problems, now is the time to reach out for Housing and Credit Counseling services. There are Homeownership and Credit Counseling Agencies that may be able to assist you. Housing counselors can help you organize and budget your finances to help you be able to pay your mortgage. To find a HUD-certified housing counseling agency in your area please contact the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) at 1-800-569-4287. You can also find a list of HUD-approved agencies in your area by visiting the HUD web site at Talk to a Housing Counselor for help to save your home. 

To learn more about avoiding foreclosure, please go to the Help for Homeowners Facing the Loss of their Home website brought to you through the collaborative efforts of HUD/FHA, the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, the U.S. Department of Labor, Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, and members of the mortgage industry.
Guidance on Mortgage Relief for Those Impacted by COVID-19
Due to COVID-19-related job loss and reductions in work hours, homeowners may find it difficult to keep up with their mortgage payments. If you’re one of these homeowners, you should know that assistance may be available. In the links below, you’ll find information from the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau on; coronavirus-related scams, mortgage forbearance and deferment, and other mortgage relief options specifically designed to help those financially affected by the coronavirus pandemic.
If you have questions regarding this information, please do not hesitate to contact our Loan Servicing department at 1-866-350-7746.
Alternatives to Foreclosure
If your loan is serviced by DHI Mortgage Loan Servicing, the following options may be available to you as potential alternatives to foreclosure if you are unable to afford your mortgage payments:

How does a Repayment Plan work?
A Repayment Plan allows you to pay your delinquent amount over 6-12 months by adding the amount to your normal payment.
How does a Loan Modification work?
A Loan Modification works by adding past due amounts to the unpaid balance of the loan and extends the term.
How does a Short Sale work?
A Short Sale works by allowing you to sell your home and pay off your mortgage loan even though your property may be located in a declining market.
How does a Deed in Lieu of Foreclosure work?
A Deed in Lieu of Foreclosure works by allowing you to deed your property to your lender rather than go through the lengthy legal process of foreclosure.
Please contact DHI Mortgage Loan Servicing as soon as possible by phone, email, or in writing to discuss your situation and learn what you need to do to avoid foreclosure.
DHI Mortgage Loan Servicing
10700 Pecan Park Blvd., Suite 450
Austin, TX 78750
Click Here to Email Us
What Might You Need to Provide When Requesting Assistance?
Below is a general list of documents that may be needed. You will have an assigned specialist that will contact you regarding which specific documents you should submit and may include some documents that are not listed below.
  • Social Security card and Driver License, Necessary to confirm identity as required by the Patriot Act
  • Most recent two years’ W-2s, For an analysis of your income history
  • Most recent thirty days of pay stubs showing year-to-date earnings, Required for the qualification process
  • If you receive Social Security benefits or pension, a copy of your disability or retirement awards letter
  • If you are a college graduate in the last two years, a copy of your transcript
  • Most recent two months’ bank statements or last quarterly statement, all pages, all accounts, To verify reserves and down payment
  • Most recent (or last quarterly) statement of 401k or retirement accounts, All pages including terms and conditions of withdrawal
  • Please document any large non-payroll, pension or Social Security deposits
  • If you are divorced, a copy of your divorce decree and property settlement, All pages and court stamped
  • If you pay or receive child support, a copy of your child support order (if separate from divorce decree)
  • If you own any real estate, copies of lease agreements and mortgage statements, showing taxes & insurance are included in payment (front and back)
  • If you are not a U.S. Citizen, a copy of your Resident Alien Card
  • Provide contact information for insurance agent as soon as it is available, at least 21 days prior to closing
  • Copy of DD-214, member 4, For Veteran Affairs Loans this may be requested
  • Name, address and phone number of nearest living relative, For Veteran Affairs Loans this may be requested
  • Statement of Service, For In Service Veterans this may be requested
  • Copy of active duty orders, For In Service Veterans this may be requested